The Acadia Regional Youth Orchestra (ARYO) strings program offers beginner and elementary instruction in violin, viola, cello, and double bass, and participation in two different levels of string orchestra, for students ages 10-24, along with a Fiddle Group open to all ages.
Acadia University students are welcome to join us for this program!
Our Partnership with the Acadia School of Music
Following an invitation from the Acadia University School of Music, the Horton Community Youth Orchestra program (HCYO), which had been offered in collaboration with Horton High school for three years, moved to the Acadia University School of Music in September 2018 and is now known as the Acadia Regional Youth Orchestra. ARYO operates alongside the Annapolis Valley Honour Choir and the Acadia Youth Band, very successful ensembles using the Acadia School of Music facilities as well. ARYO clinics and rehearsals are held in the Festival Theatre Lobby and Stage. (Due to Covid-19, we currently have our sessions at Horton Community Centre in Grand Pré.)
ARYO is a Nova Scotia registered not-for-profit society.
Our defined objectives are as follows:
- To provide string music education and to promote string music in the Annapolis Valley
- To promote string and orchestra music in local and regional school programs
- To associate with the province of Nova Scotia’s post-secondary Music Education program through the Acadia University School of Music
- To collaborate with other musical groups in the Annapolis Valley Region
- To promote and preserve the Nova Scotian heritage of fiddle and folk music through instruction and performance
Elizabeth Sircom is our 2021/22 Program Director. She works with our Introductory Orchestra and is instructor of our Beginner Instrument Clinic.
Keigan Richard conducts both our Introductory Orchestra and ARYO Orchestra.
Jaya Paquette-Jager is instructor of the Level 2 Mixed Instrument Clinic, and leads our Fiddle Group.
Dr. Christoph Both, formerly of the Acadia University School of Music, is the President of the ARYO Board.
You are welcome to contact us with any questions or for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.